Erectile dysfunction is defined as persistent inability to develop or maintain an erection of the penis during sexual activity.
A penile erection is a complex process which involves hydraulic effect of blood entering and being retained in sponge-like bodies within the penis. The process is most often initiated as a result of sexual arousal, when signals are transmitted from the brain to nerves in the penis.
Thus male sexual arousal is a process that involves the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles, blood vessels, etc and any deformity or problem in these may result in erectile dysfunction. The most important organic causes are cardiovascular disease and diabetes, neurological problems (for example, trauma from prostatectomy surgery), hormonal insufficiencies (hypogonadism) and drug side effects. Sometimes a combination of both physiological and psychological issues causes erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction can have severe psychological consequences as it can be tied to relationship difficulties and masculine self-image.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction:
- Aging (more common in men aged in their 60s than those in their 40s)
- Heart disease and narrowing of blood vessels
- Diseases such as diabetes mellitus, multiple sclerosis (MS),Parkinsonism,
- Neurogenic disorders
- Potassium deficiency
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Obesity and metabolic syndrome
- Hormonal disorders: thyroid conditions and testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism)
- Structural/anatomical disorder of the penis, such as Peyronie disease (Cavernosal disorders)
- Treatments for prostate disease like Prostatis, Prostate cancer,etc.
- Surgical complications (surgeries include radical prostatectomy, cystectomy, transurethral resection of the prostate and rectal cancer surgery)
- Kidney failure
- Arsenic contamination of water
- Depression causes lower libido
- Fear, anxiety, or anger
- Stress – work, financial, and emotional problems
- Performance anxiety – repeated feelings of doubt and failure in which worrying about getting an erection can cause a cycle of anxiety that prevents one from being possible
- Poor communication with a sex partner
- Other relationship problems such as pressure from a sex partner because expectations make sexual activity a task instead of a pleasure, etc.
- Lifestyle: excessive smoking, alcoholism, drug abuse
- Drug induced (side effects of certain drugs/medicines)
- Injuries in the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Radiation therapy to the pelvic region.
Signs and symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
- Erectile dysfunction is characterized by the regular or repeated inability to obtain or maintain an erection.
- Reduced sexual desire or libido.
- Obtaining full erections at some times, such as nocturnal penile tumescence when asleep (when the mind and psychological issues, if any, are less present), tends to suggest that the physical structures are functionally working.
- Other factors leading to erectile dysfunction are Diabetes mellitus (causing neuropathy).
Ayurveda body cures treatment plan for Erectile dysfunction:
Your treatment plan will be recommended after your detailed consultation by our Specialist Ayurvedic Consultant and according to your concerned disorder and its severity. Your main line of treatment plan will include the administration of herbs which acts as aphrodisiac, stimulant, etc. Along with the herbal medication subtle detoxification/Panchkarma, herbal massage based therapies, dietary and lifestyle changes, Yoga and other exercises, etc. are also recommended.
Herbal medication is given considering your individual body constitution, climatic conditions, daily routine, lifestyle, etc. The focus is to improve your strength and immunity, sexual libido and stamina, subtle detoxification, reduce stress along with treating other complications associated with premature ejaculation, if any.
A herbal combination may include Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Suddha shilajeet (Asphaltum punjabium), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Gokshur (Ttribulus terrestris), Safed musli (Asparagus adscendens), Lajvanti (Mimosa pudica), Tal makhana (Asteracantha longifolia), Kaunch beej (Mucuna pruriens), Jaifal (Myristrica fragrans), Lavang (synzygium aromaticum), Bala beej (Abutilon indicum), etc.
Herbal massage based therapies:
Detoxification is the most important part of your treatment plan. It helps in the elimination of toxins rapidly from the body, thus removing the toxin barrier and enhancing the effect of herbal medications. Detoxification through lower channels (Virechan), Enema therapy (basti), Nasal medications (Nasya), etc will be recommended accordingly after determining the condition of the disorder. These subtle or intensive detoxifications as decided by our Ayurvedic Physician will help you to achieve the desired results.
Diet and lifestyle recommendations:
Healthy eating habits and general dietary rules are suggested to improve your health. This will enhance your physical stamina by nullifying the effect of poor dietary habits.
Yoga and exercise recommendations:
Yoga and exercises are the most important part of your treatment to get relief from mental stress and other psychological disorder which are affecting your routine and aggravating the disorder.
Yoga postures like Dhanurasana (Bow pose), Kumbhkasana (Plank pose), Utanapadasana (Raised leg pose), Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend), etc and breathing techniques like Kapalbhati, Anulom-vilom will help in relieving mental stress.
Thus Ayurveda Body Cure’s holistic treatment plan will help you to get relieve from erectile disorder and improve your overall quality of life.