Manya Basti: Oil Pool Over Neck
Like mentioned before in Kati Basti, Manya here means the neck in Sanskrit and Basti meaning an artificial pool which can contain oil for as much time as required. It is a treatment where the pool of oil is made on the vertebral side of the neck, while you lie face down. Here specially medicated warm oil is pooled and its temperature maintained for 15 – 20 minutes on the cervical vertebrae which forms the main strength of the neck. This is then mostly followed by a gentle Pindsweda. A series of these treatments can prove as great alternative where manipulation is not indicated by physiotherapists or orthopaedic surgeons. It has amazing benefits to relieve pain and stiffness for the below mentioned back conditions:
- Cervical spondylitis
- Cervical disc bulge leading to pain in the neck radiating to either side of shoulders and arms
- It is useful in cervical neck pain due to repetitive strain injuries after sitting in long hours on the computer or driving.
- Helps relieve numbness in the neck / shoulder region, tingling sensation and numbness of hands.
- Strengthens the cervical spine, cervical vertebras and neck muscles.
- Helps relieve muscle tension in the neck and cervico-occipital joint thus helping to reduce pain in headaches, migraines etc.